OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
JUST H. P. LOVECRAFT'S CTHULHU AT THE MOMENT

I've always loved H.P. Lovecraft's creation, the Cthulhu, another evil god of a completely different fictional universe. He's always been described (as far as I know) as a huge beast that sleeps at the bottom of Earth's oceans and is depicted as having (most commonly) an octopus like head, bat like wings and a gargantuan humanoid body covered in scales and talons, also anyone unlucky enough to even glimpse him will instantly go insane. So this should be fun!!! Twisted Evil pirat lol!

I'm dismantling my very large scratch built Titanium Man figure as the years haven't been kind to him and he doesn't really fit in anywhere in my collection anymore; the body I built for him is also perfect for this build. I've then got a bunch of octopuses, many random monster parts,. The body will have multiple small bat wings on the back. All of this is subject to change as usual..

SOME CTHULHU REFERENCE PICS

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP ZY7BhIw

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP Pw3prAn

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP YJ4mjcw

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP Y5LK8KG

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP 6iOOJin

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP IEzqhyW

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP VkL1hIE

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP Dk8yA16

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP XbnM1Vf

SOME OF WHAT I'M WORKING WITH ATM

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP FTWqfsO

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP PdZMnvn

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP TGa9daJ

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP LgX3QkD

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP JeNPvr0

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP DxZoVeB

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP GTodPHI

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP QFXF2zC

I'M USED TO HUNTING AND GUTTING REAL ONES! LOL NOT TOY ONES!

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP GXNgscg

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP NxTACPJ

YEAH, A BIT DIRPY RIGHT NOW BUT GIVES YOU SCALE

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP NnFn0FX

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP X3Pb9eX

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP Ojllvmt

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP UhSV1sG

SO...SHOULD BE FUN OR A DISASTER! bom Wink

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
This sounds like a truly inspired idea. Good luck, Alex.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Interesting concept! My personal preference is for more 'goth' version (get it, more....goth.... Razz ), but I'll be curious to see how this one turns out.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:This sounds like a truly inspired idea. Good luck, Alex.

Cheers Stryker! We'll see what happens lol.

skywalkersaga wrote:Interesting concept! My personal preference is for more 'goth' version (get it, more....goth.... Razz ), but I'll be curious to see how this one turns out.

LOL, yes very punny SWS! I'm just waiting for the POTC Davy Jones jokes..
I don't want to build just another Wraith or Sauron figure so I thought mixing the two ideas of the characters together could make something new..sort of..not sure lol. Might end up making both separately but I'm going to try this mad combo first. Wink

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I wasn't sure if you were going to merge the characters of make both. But I guess you are not sure either. Anyway, fun project for sure.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:I wasn't sure if you were going to merge the characters of make both. But I guess you are not sure either. Anyway, fun project for sure.

Too true! lol!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
shovelchop81 wrote:

skywalkersaga wrote:Interesting concept! My personal preference is for more 'goth' version (get it, more....goth.... Razz ), but I'll be curious to see how this one turns out.

I don't want to build just another Wraith or Sauron figure so I thought mixing the two ideas of the characters together could make something new..sort of..not sure lol. Might end up making both separately but I'm going to try this mad combo first. Wink

Aw yeah, that's understandable -- your Sauron project was INTENSE, and I can see why you'd want to take a slightly different approach with this one. And even though I have my own 'headcanons' for Tolkien's characters, I always enjoy seeing creative interpretations. :')

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
skywalkersaga wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:

Aw yeah, that's understandable -- your Sauron project was INTENSE, and I can see why you'd want to take a slightly different approach with this one. And even though I have my own 'headcanons' for Tolkien's characters, I always enjoy seeing creative interpretations. :')

He was my second Sauron too! I had more creative freedom with the first one because like all the Wraiths I built, he was from The Hobbit movies so was still coalescing his scattered powers into a physical form as the Wraiths were slowly doing the reverse which is why they still had armour and vestiges of their original forms and ethnicities i.e. Gondorian, Numenorean, Haradrim, Easterling etc..

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
I'm still waiting on this octopus.

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP Xw4elEY

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP GHdT3DP

Started looking at 1/3 scale bodies but they're not cheap, impressive though!! Around 20" tall.

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP D5tlLot

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP GWtS0Vr

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP 0eaZOPR

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP GXD9UNq

You don't want too much articulation due to the weight of the figure!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I do like the shapes of some those BJD's, even if somewhat stylised or exaggerated, they have an elegance to them that a lot of action figures, well, lack. ;p

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
I was wondering if I built them as separate figures, how I could justify the Cthulhu being only 18" inches tall and still be 1/6 scale, so I just did a search digging a little deeper into its lore, turns out I can!

Cthulhu's height reaches hundreds of metres tall, but it is capable of altering its size and shape at will, being anywhere between the size of a man to the size of a continent and capable of spawning any number of limbs as it chooses. wrote:

YAY! Wink

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That new Octo will look great. I wonder if one of those knock off Hulk bodies would be better to support the weight of everything, as opposed to one of those skinny bodies…? Just a thought.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I know you sometimes accept limited articulation, so Stryker's suggestion about one of the knockoff Hulk bodies would make sense if you want a really sturdy body and are worried about the weight of the head and other stuff. Love the octopus.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:That new Octo will look great. I wonder if one of those knock off Hulk bodies would be better to support the weight of everything, as opposed to one of those skinny bodies…? Just a thought.

GubernatorFan wrote:I know you sometimes accept limited articulation, so Stryker's suggestion about one of the knockoff Hulk bodies would make sense if you want a really sturdy body and are worried about the weight of the head and other stuff. Love the octopus.

Sorry I guess I was just randomly showing stuff and not explaining why! I am looking at a second large body so I can do two separate figures if needed or rather, desired and my heart's going in that direction now. The tall thin one would be for Morgoth and the squatter one would be for Cthulhu. I'll probably use a Diamond Direct 1/4 scale ANH Obi-Wan extra body I have though to save money.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:Sorry I guess I was just randomly showing stuff and not explaining why! I am looking at a second large body so I can do two separate figures if needed or rather, desired and my heart's going in that direction now. The tall thin one would be for Morgoth and the squatter one would be for Cthulhu. I'll probably use a Diamond Direct 1/4 scale ANH Obi-Wan extra body I have though to save money.

It might be more pricey, but I saw that Toy Anxiety has parted out HT's Venom set, and the body is at least 15 inches tall (without the head on it).

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Another great project!!! I'm excited to see how the Cthulhu character comes to live...

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:Sorry I guess I was just randomly showing stuff and not explaining why! I am looking at a second large body so I can do two separate figures if needed or rather, desired and my heart's going in that direction now. The tall thin one would be for Morgoth and the squatter one would be for Cthulhu. I'll probably use a Diamond Direct 1/4 scale ANH Obi-Wan extra body I have though to save money.

It might be more pricey, but I saw that Toy Anxiety has parted out HT's Venom set, and the body is at least 15 inches tall (without the head on it).

Cheers!

Randam Hajile wrote:Another great project!!! I'm excited to see how the Cthulhu character comes to live...

I'm still in two minds as whether to create one combined or two figures depicting the characters separately, I'm waiting for that last octopus figure to arrive which hopefully will help me decide! LOL.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Here's a short video explaining Malkor/Morgoth by The Broken Sword:

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ooh, now I'm thinking that Venom body might really work. But yes, it is a hefty price.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Ooh, now I'm thinking that Venom body might really work. But yes, it is a hefty price.

Too short as well mate.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Okay, so this is a game changer, I found a complete 1/4 body in my storage room to use to make my version of Morgoth. It needs some repairs, I'm just glad all the parts needed are there to do it, I'd remembered this body but thought I only had the torso, turns out I have this 'complete' body and a torso! Now I can build both Cthulhu and Morgoth separately as I wasn't going to fork out £160 for a body anytime soon. So this body is for Morgoth:

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP 3Jxxf2Q

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP G4mQIIH

This body is now for Cthulhu:

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP 4S56PQZ

This is a mock up build to see what I have and what I want to do, my biggest hurdle is to get that orange octopus dyed black if possible otherwise it's pretty useless for the build! I'm still waiting on the other octopus to arrive... holy cr@p...it just got shoved through the letterbox as I'm typing this! What are the chances of that happening? The downside is it fit through the letterbox... Yeah, just opened the packet, beautifully sculpted and painted, perfect if I wanted an actual 1/6 scale realistic octopus lol but I need a larger one or might just be able to coble the octopuses together and make a custom built mantle (head) for it which is probably a good idea anyway.

Mock up build:

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP NiC6uqV

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP V11Wcgv

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP TJi1Ado

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP GmUfsve

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP 7AopgH1

THE REAL MONSTER OF THE BUILD!! SHE'S NICKING EVERYTHING!! GOT BIGGER SO SHE'S NOW BOLDER...PAIN IN THE ARSE! LOL.

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP An8TGD5

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP UTTUvVX

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP B8jOK4k

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP AfURGL6

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP JtrNxd1

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP IR2wxp4

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP XmuJFHx

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP 2NElcWk

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP AoegWOl

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP Q0aua8b

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP HzXRIsi

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP XXBRenJ

NEW OCTOPUS

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP IkTWWNG

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP EUhjMdw

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP IJ59M0Y

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow, that really is tiny, and not at all what I expected. I thought it’d at least be as big as your original Octo. Ha! Your kitten looks to be a handful. (I won’t let my dog downstairs in my work area at all — too much stuff lying around loose).

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:Wow, that really is tiny, and not at all what I expected. I thought it’d at least be as big as your original Octo. Ha! Your kitten looks to be a handful. (I won’t let my dog downstairs in my work area at all — too much stuff lying around loose).

LOL, yeah she's testing her boundaries I think, same with my food annoyingly but I'd hardly ever see her if she was locked out of my living room, she's already banned from my bedroom!
I just ordered another octopus, this one's in the UK, rubber I think and over 12" wide so plenty of tentacle to work with there and should be a quick delivery!

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP AtCP1oe

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP IpbTvg6

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP 4Awg4HE

DREAM NO MORE....CTHULHU AWAKENS!.. / Custom Cthulhu WIP VLrzj7u

I think the kitten will end up with the orange one! Wink

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oooh, nice! Two builds even better than one! Very Happy

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Looks like you are in for a lot of fun. The orange octopus looked promising enough even if the smaller ones are very cool and super realistic. The new one you just ordered looks great, too, I hope it does the job. Was that first 1/4 scale body a Bruce Lee or a Sub-Mariner? Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum