OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: Star Man: 1/6 Female Gladiator action figure MS-008

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

MeMyself&I

gooboo wrote:Someone made a review on BBICN, the headsculpt for this figure looks pretty good.

https://bbs.bbicn.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=401838&extra=&page=1&_dsign=559ab425

Thanks for that link! Yeah, I'm glad I caved at the last minute.

MeMyself&I

She has shipped! Now to wait…

brassco

I too po the Play Toy version...I was curious about the comparison btw the 2 bodies...

Spoke to my supplier, he said the Play toy's version will be delayed, but dun know till when...

very tempted to get the Star Man's...

GeeWillikers

I have the Play Toy version on PO but this one looks so good I kind of regret not PO'ing it too, now.

Have we any idea if they're both using the same body or not yet? If they are, that'll take the sting out of it a little, I guess.

EDIT: Bah, I caved and ordered one of these while they're still out there. If the PlayToy version is delayed then I can (probably, cough) afford this one.

vspectra

GeeWillikers wrote:I have the Play Toy version on PO but this one looks so good I kind of regret not PO'ing it too, now.

Have we any idea if they're both using the same body or not yet? If they are, that'll take the sting out of it a little, I guess.

EDIT: Bah, I caved and ordered one of these while they're still out there. If the PlayToy version is delayed then I can (probably, cough) afford this one.

did you order the star man from aliexpress?

Pretty sure the PT and SM have different bodies.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
vspectra wrote:

did you order the star man from aliexpress?

Pretty sure the PT and SM have different bodies.

No (very much against my better judgement) I ordered it from eBay, but at least I ordered it from a seller I've dealt with before with no problems, so... fingers crossed. Normally I'd only buy a full figure set from GianToy or Kit, but this has long gone from both.

Hopefully they are different bodies - the PT looks a little 'chunkier' but you never can be 100% sure from promos.

rootleaf

rootleaf
Arrived from Giantoy today. I'm very happy with how she turned out. Star Man captured her thighs correctly in the new body.

Some preliminary photos:

NEW PRODUCT: Star Man: 1/6 Female Gladiator action figure MS-008 - Page 3 Fuji5011

NEW PRODUCT: Star Man: 1/6 Female Gladiator action figure MS-008 - Page 3 Fuji5012

NEW PRODUCT: Star Man: 1/6 Female Gladiator action figure MS-008 - Page 3 Fuji5111

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
She just arrived and she's already kicking poor Ryu!? The nerve! Happy you're happy.

rootleaf

rootleaf
GubernatorFan wrote:She just arrived and she's already kicking poor Ryu!? The nerve! Happy you're happy.

Ha! She was stuck in a plastic coffin on the way over here. She couldn't wait to begin mixing it up and stretching those legs out  NEW PRODUCT: Star Man: 1/6 Female Gladiator action figure MS-008 - Page 3 1f60b .

So, it took Star Man 8 months for Chun-li. Hopefully, we'll have Cammy in our hands by January or February 2025?

Diana

Diana
She looks great! Pretty sure the Play Toy version has a more muscular body. At least the legs seemed more muscular in my memory.

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
She has arrived for me as well. I’ll post a review in my thread, but overall I like her.

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
Quick aside, I will now be doing my full reviews of boxed figures in the description and notes of Flick alongside their photos.

That said, a quick review as I’m at work. Photos to come later, again on Flickr.

- Outfit quality is excellent
- Articulation is interesting and decently smooth. I have some issues though.
- I’m glad she has movable eyes
- Shockingly heavy figure
- Head seems a touch small
- Body is silky smooth to the touch and the seam lines aren’t overly distracting, though noticeable.

rootleaf

rootleaf
Here is a comparison shot with a Super Duck Chun-li and a custom Jiaou outfit Chun-li...

NEW PRODUCT: Star Man: 1/6 Female Gladiator action figure MS-008 - Page 3 Fuji5210

Gwebberarts

Gwebberarts
Sure got that body right, oh those thighs Very Happy

Spartan06

Spartan06
MeMyself&I wrote:
- Outfit quality is excellent
- Articulation is interesting and decently smooth. I have some issues though.
- I’m glad she has movable eyes
- Shockingly heavy figure
- Head seems a touch small
- Body is silky smooth to the touch and the seam lines aren’t overly distracting, though noticeable.

Agree and good points!  I also thought the head looks a might small on mine.  

Overall, I'm happy with the figure and the body shape.  It doesn't look as muscular as the Play Toy version, but the darker brown tights seem to play down the muscles.

Thanks for the pictures, Henry!  I will try to post some in a few days as well if I can arrange a tabletop fight with Kasumi or 2b, but yours show her off well.

Gwebberarts

Gwebberarts
I wonder if one could make improved tights from nylon stocking or actual tights.

rootleaf

rootleaf
Gwebberarts wrote:I wonder if one could make improved tights from nylon stocking or actual tights.

Possibly. I think they did a great job of hiding the seam on her tights.

Some pics with her on Ryu's stage...

NEW PRODUCT: Star Man: 1/6 Female Gladiator action figure MS-008 - Page 3 Fuji5211
NEW PRODUCT: Star Man: 1/6 Female Gladiator action figure MS-008 - Page 3 Fuji5311
NEW PRODUCT: Star Man: 1/6 Female Gladiator action figure MS-008 - Page 3 Fuji5310
NEW PRODUCT: Star Man: 1/6 Female Gladiator action figure MS-008 - Page 3 Fuji5313

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
Alrighty, as I said, my in depth review will be posted on Flickr. I honestly prefer the format there, so I apologize if that doesn't work for some.

Please note that some of this album is NSFW as I discuss this new, silicone body, the seam lines, and how they presented Chun Li. The NSFW photos are hidden from view for non-followers (if I did that right, I just bought Pro and am learning settings).

I will leave a few points here though for those that don't use Flickr, as I know there is a lot of curiosity involving the body used.

Overall I give this a 8/10.

She's a great representation of one of the most iconic fighting game, if not video game, characters ever.

- Their attention to detail in the outfits is much appreciated and well executed.

- They did her figure justice. She's the right height give or take, she's sculpted accurately, and they made it clear she did NOT skip leg day.

- She absolutely, IMO, blows the Super Duck version of her out of the water, with the only comparable point being the head sculpt (I do prefer SD's in some ways).

- The accessories is what you would expect for Chun Li, though an energy effect would have been nice for her kick motions. I get it though, cost and weight. You charged $220, charge the extra for the cool accessory. Chun Li fans, like my stupid self, will pay for it.

So why the 8 and not a 9 or 10?

The articulation...the articulation is not up to par. Maybe it is just mine, but if not, well, they have room for improvement.

It isn't that she isn't posable. She is, and it works despite being built like a Pixar mom from the waist down. It's the fluidity of the motion that bothers me.

Her neck, her hips, her waist are all nice and silky smooth. Maybe not TBL level, but close enough.

Her elbows, shoulders, and knees though...no. Just no. I hope it's just mine, but her shoulders feel sandy when trying to pose, and her right elbow is terrifyingly tight. I honestly thought I was going to break it or tear it trying to pose her. Absolutely not acceptable on a $220 figure. That killed the rating for me.

Aside from that, she's honestly fantastic.

Now for the body.

I didn't comment beyond the seam lines and sculpt in my in depth review, so allow me to note my thoughts here.

- The seam lines are not horrible overall, and are most noticeable on her arms.

- The skin is the very definition of silky smooth. Putting on her SF Alpha outfit was an absolute dream, especially with how tight those tights are.

- The paint application is a nice touch, and it really puts TBL to shame. I get it, different materials, but still, it's a nice touch.

- The sculpt work is very nice.

- Did I mention how silky smooth it feels?

- I did laugh at the instructions which said to maintain it with powder. I thought these really didn't need that compared to the "exploding bodies" of other manufactures?

- The elbows are very thin, and I'm fairly confident I have a tiny hole on one. Not shocking, but still. Stupid elbows.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. She's worth picking up I think. Will be interesting to see her compared to other versions. *side note, I still think IconiQ is going to smoke this, but maybe I have unrealistic expectations.

NEW PRODUCT: Star Man: 1/6 Female Gladiator action figure MS-008 - Page 3 53708321581_f89651bd4a_kTypical profile shots by T E, on Flickr

NEW PRODUCT: Star Man: 1/6 Female Gladiator action figure MS-008 - Page 3 53708533293_a6142526da_kAlpha Vest by T E, on Flickr

NEW PRODUCT: Star Man: 1/6 Female Gladiator action figure MS-008 - Page 3 53708652179_ff40ce4726_kPosability by T E, on Flickr

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the review, MMI, glad you like her. I hope there are no problems with the seamless material after all.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
Thanks for the pics, MM&I, they make for a very useful quick guide.

The 'NSFW' Flickr pics reveal (pun intended) that while any censoring is very annoying in principle it doesn't appear to be quite as severe in practice here as it now is with TBLeague. The total removal of lower body detailing is neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned (they use the word 'secret' for a reason), but the complete removal of more naturally-visible upper body detailing detracts from the overall realism of a figure, be it female or male. It is in my opinion a ridiculous and unnecessarily puritanical step (no real surprise under an oppressive regime, I guess). It's a reasonable enough compromise in that case that with this body, those upper torso details appear to be at least vaguely 'suggested' (TBL's latest figures are now completely featureless).  

The Elbow Issue: this seems to be a common problem with VeryCool's seamless bodies, then. My problem with the earlier Bayonetta body (both elbows split within hours of acquiring it) are reported elsewhere, and the skin on the left elbow of my new VC001B is now stretched so dangerously thin that I'm now reluctant to bend the arm at all.

navetsea

both cheek and lips on the prototype looks fuller than the final version, and the chin looks pointier and more anime-is on the final version, I kind of liking the prototype a lot more

Devil34

Devil34
What a scam, it didn't include the secret parts. Otherwise the figure is excellent, but it's disappointing that it didn't include NSFW

onesixthcollector777

Devil34 wrote:What a scam, it didn't include the secret parts. Otherwise the figure is excellent, but it's disappointing that it didn't include NSFW

It is very sad indeed. First thing I checked when I recieved it and it broke my heart a bit NGL....

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
What secret parts are you talking about?

onesixthcollector777

ZeroDelta wrote:What secret parts are you talking about?

Female genitalia... the figure has no nipples/vagina....

onesixthcollector777

navetsea wrote:both cheek and lips on the prototype looks fuller than the final version, and the chin looks pointier and more anime-is on the final version, I kind of liking the prototype a lot more

Absolutely. The tights are darker on the final as well,which doesn't allow you to see muscle tone of legs as well. She also looks taller overall to me I the prototype shots.

itt

itt
onesixthcollector777 wrote:

LOL, I’m disappointed too. Someday maybe some enterprising company will come out with a “secret parts” “package” that will allow us to rectify such a sad omission on each of our figs.

Gwebberarts

Gwebberarts
Now we just need some pics of her doing her Spinning Bird attack (and better tights)

onesixthcollector777

itt wrote:
onesixthcollector777 wrote:

LOL, I’m disappointed too. Someday maybe some enterprising company will come out with a “secret parts” “package” that will allow us to rectify such a sad omission on each of our figs.

I am very curious IF and HOW this could be done.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum